DWI: Juvenile DUI

When a minor (a person that’s under the age of 21) is found to have any amount of alcohol in their system while driving, criminal charges of DUI will apply.

Driving Under the Influence (DUI), a less severe criminal charge than DWI, is generally applied to underage motorists caught drunk driving (unless they have an extremely high blood alcohol content level).

When a juvenile is found to be operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated on alcohol with a blood alcohol content level of over 0.8, they will face the more severe charge of DWI.

Criminal Penalties for DUI

If a person is found guilty for DUI in the state of Texas , they’ll face criminal charges with punitive consequences limited under Class C misdemeanor guidelines. Monetary penalties also apply in the form of fines which can be assessed up to $500.

Class C Misdemeanor convictions carry no requirement for county jail time. It should also be noted that the Texas Department of Public Safety will move to suspend the Texas drivers license of the minor, and adults’ too, for that matter, if charged with DUI.

The judge may also force the minor to participate in a community service program and drug or alcohol awareness programs, depending on the circumstances of the case. If the minor was intoxicated on alcohol they will likely be forced to participate in an alcohol awareness program, and if the minor was caught with marijuana, or another drug, they may be assigned to a drug treatment program.

Saving Your Texas Driver License

The Administrative License Revocation Hearing

In order to fight the suspension of one’s Texas Drivers License you’ll need to request an ALR hearing. You better move fast because you’ll only have about 15 days to request an ALR hearing to fight the suspension of your Texas Driver License.

Contact An Experienced Houston Lawyer For Help

If your son or daughter was arrested for DUI, you’d be making the right decision if you choose to fight the charge to keep it off their record, and from affecting them later on, as they move through life. We recommend that you contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer in Houston, or talk with one of the featured DWI attorneys listed here, on H-Town Legal.